I have been on a banana bread kick lately, too consumed with making and eating it to actually write down my recipe. I know, I’m sorry- hey I’m honest about my human/blogging flaws. However after making another 3 loaves this morning I’ve finally committed to sharing my recipe as promised to a few readers and mom friends who are craving this sort of nourishment.
I thank Bali for reminding me of the simple pleasures and comfort of banana bread. When feeling homesick for healthy foods I frequented Yoga Barn in Ubud and a spot called Desa Seni in Canggu in which it was here where I got used to starting my day with a smoothie and a freshly baked slice. I knew when I returned home I would have to keep this routine alive. Naturally, the only way to truly enjoy banana bread guiltlessly day after day in my book would be to make it gluten free, vegan and loaded with super seeds.
I’ll warn you now that any typos in this post are strictly due to my preoccupation no not with cute little Nova, instead with a slice of cooled, yet still warm fresh out of the oven and off the cooling rack bit of banana bread bliss! I don’t typically type and munch but some recipes are worth the exception and in terms of mess this one’s pretty easy to brush off the keyboard. 😉
Speaking of mess, ease and Nova this recipe is perfect for the lil loves in your life. Although I’ll admit that when I excitedly made this recipe I offered it to Nova for breakfast and he chose cherry tomatoes instead. In this moment I felt a sense of pride and disappointment in the same instance. Luckily he wound up eating a slice in the afternoon and loving it!
I’m sure you’ll love this recipe too, if you give it a try I recommend using Pure Pantry’s All Purpose Gluten Free Baking Mix otherwise your most favorite and trusted brand of all purpose baking mix will work well too. Don’t forget to let those bananas get really, really ripe! Have a great time mixing this one up and as always enjoy! Oh the smell in your home that awaits you dear readers…it’s gonna be good!
P.S. This recipe is intended to make 3 – 4 loafs as I love batch cooking and then freezing, what busy person doesn’t?
Walnut & Chocolate Super-Seed Banana Bread Loaf (Gluten Free & Vegan –
No Dairy No Eggs)
- 7 very ripe bananas
- 1 cup melted coconut oil
- 4 flax eggs
- 1 cup raw cane sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 4 cups all purpose baking mix (gluten free)
- 1 cup chocolate chunks
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1/3 cup super seed mix (chia, hemp, buckwheat, sunflower, pumpkin) -optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray, brush or wipe loaf pans with coconut oil.
- Using a mixer or a blender mash bananas and then add in the coconut oil, flax eggs, coconut milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg until mixed lightly but well incorporated together.
- Using a spoon or electric mixer fold in the walnuts, chocolate and seed mix.
- Pour batter into greased loaf pans about 3/4 of the way full. Place in over to bake for 35-50 mins depending on your oven and pan size. For small loaf pans 35 minutes works well in my mini oven and for larger loaf pans 50 minutes is the sweet spot. You’ll know your loaf is ready by inserting a toothpick in the center, if it comes out clean your loaf is ready for cooling.
- Allow the loafs to cool on a cooling rack for about 15-25 minutes or until you just can’t wait any longer, lose all self control over the smell and thought of warm banana bread and dig in anyways. Talk about keeping your cool, I’d crack under that kind of pressure too!
Enjoy dear readers and leave me a note below if you plan on or do in fact give this one a try!