Earlier this week via my instagram feed, I shared with you a breakfast staple in my home called Oatmeal À La Mode. It’s not something we eat as regularly as smoothies and acai bowls but definitely a part of the repertoire. Being a nursing mother, as well as an active one I need a breakfast that will sustain me, oatmeal gives me that perfect satisfaction and nourishment.
However, I can’t simply make oats and call it a meal, for me, oatmeal like all of my breakfasts has to be decadent. I have a major morning sweet tooth almost always preferring a sweet breakfast over a savory. I’m a bit particular too, I don’t want to eat anything too sweet and I look for protein in the form of nut butter, oats or quinoa to usually balance that out for me. The beauty with Oatmeal À La Mode is that it has everything I look for in breakfast, sustained energy, protein, sweetness and decadence and being that it is so versatile it would be challenging to get bored with it.
Different toppings from fruits, nuts, seeds, nut butter, chocolate, cereals and spices keep things interesting. The base can also be played with, for instance, there’s a multitude of milk options plus the additional flavorings that could be added to the base from matcha to cacao to turmeric. Let’s not forget the endless flavors of ice cream that can be added (although I do feel the simple classics are my favorite here such as vanilla and chocolate). If you ever find yourself bored with oatmeal make it à la mode style.
So grab your favorite cup, bowl or plate, and don’t forget a spoon. If you’re like me you’ll want to dig in while the oats are warm and the ice cream melts slightly into the mix. Now that’s what I consider a good morning!
- For this recipe, I made my oats as usual 1/3 cup of dry oats to 2/3 cup rice milk with a touch of cinnamon and maple syrup.
- I then scooped the warm oats into a cup and layered banana slices in between.
- Next, I added a scoop of cashew milk vanilla ice cream to the top of the oats and then proceeded to pour my soon to be released “choco hazelnut butter” over the top which in turn made a magic shell! Use your favorite nut butter until you can get your hands on mine.
- I then garnished the top with deliciously crunchy Mighty Chocolate Joy Flakes cereal by Love Grown Foods. If you haven’t tried this cereal yet I highly recommend you grab a box or two. It’s made of beans and is the most chocolaty and crunchy cereal I have ever tried. I never feel gross after eating a bowl and it always feels like a treat. I tend to add it to many of my breakfast creations as a garnish and I never hesitate to serve myself a bowl when in a morning rush.
- That’s all, grab a spoon and enjoy your morning along with the sustained energy that ensues.